Kelli Pedroia warning teens about melanoma
Sinless Tan -  Hand Applied Spray Tan
RSS

Recent Posts

Young adults ignore skin-cancer warnings, CDC says
CDC: Tanning beds creating 'an epidemic'
Teen Tanning: Indoor Sizzle Can Overcome Parental Consent Laws
Indoor Tanning
Kelli Pedroia warning teens about melanoma

Categories

Benefits of Spray Tanning
Spray tanning at Twist and Shout!
Teenagers with Melanoma
UV Tanning Dangers
powered by

My Blog

Kelli Pedroia warning teens about melanoma

Georgetown —An auditorium full of Georgetown teens gathered on Monday morning to hear a very important message. Their guest was melanoma survivor Kelli Pedroia, a slim brunette not that far out of her teens herself.Facing the packed audience, Pedroia introduced herself.“My name is Kelli Pedroia. Yes, my last name may sound familiar to you,” she said. “My husband is Dustin Pedroia, the second baseman for the Red Sox.”This drew a wave of cheers and applause from the teens.

Saying that this appearance was not about the Red Sox, Pedroia asked the teens to raise their hands if over the summer they sunbathed without skin protection or went to a tanning bed. After a pause, during which the teens were looking around the auditorium at each other, a small number of hands went up.“Congratulations for raising your hands,” said Pedroia. “You are not alone. Just a few short years ago I was your age … I had always loved the sun and loved the feeling of being tan. When I was a sophomore in high school I went to a tanning salon for the first time. It was to be the first time of many …

The summer before my senior year a big group of my friends and I worked at an outdoor water park so we could achieve the best tan possible. I graduated high school in 2001 and thought that everything was perfect.

”Kelli said her family went to the Caribbean on vacation during her spring break in her freshman year of college.“I came home with the best tan of anyone! Only using oil, not even thinking of the consequences that would haunt me a few months down the road.

”At a routine doctor’s visit a few months later, she told the doctor that a mole on her right thigh had become asymmetrical, raised, and red around the edges — three red flags for melanoma. A week after the mole was cut off, the doctor called the family in to her office.“June 11, 2002 is a day I will never forget,” said Pedroia.

“She told me my results came back positive for melanoma … I quickly learned that melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. At the young age of 18 I was the youngest patient my doctor had ever seen with it.”Kelli had a chunk the size of a large egg taken out of her right thigh and lymph nodes take out of her groin to make sure the cancer hadn’t spread. The results showed the cancer had not spread, and thanks to the operation, was now gone.

“I was young and thought I was invincible and it would never come back,” said Pedroia. “Guess what? I was wrong.

After continuing to lie out in the sun, two years later the cancer came back. I had to have more skin cut out … yet another scar to add to my growing list — all for a desire to have a tan. A year after that I had to have more skin cancer removed from my neck.“Now, four bad scars later, I have finally learned a lesson the hard way.

Not a single one of those scars was worth my desire to follow what everyone else was doing and have a tan.”Pedroia is now cancer free and plans on staying that way. She warned the teens to apply sunscreen before going outside.“Many people, including my husband, spend several hours outside a day … Before a day game or during the hot days of spring training Dustin makes sure to apply sunscreen to protect himself from the bad UVA and UVB rays.

Applying sunscreen takes less than two minutes, and trust me it is worth the time.”She told the teens to use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and reapply it every two hours. Protective clothing like long-sleeved shirts, a hat and sunglasses, are important, and people should try to avoid the peak sun hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

“The statistics of the age at which skin cancer and melanoma arise are alarming and getting younger and younger,” said Pedroia.A handout from the Melanoma Foundation shows scary statistics about tanning and melanoma, which is now the fastest growing cancer in the United States.

One person dies each hour from melanoma, and using tanning beds before the age of 35 increases one’ s risk of getting melanoma by 75 percent. Over one million people use tanning beds on any given day and many of them are teenagers.

Deb Girard, executive director of the Melanoma Foundation of New England, said people concerned about vitamin D levels can get the vitamin from five to 10 minutes of sun during daily outside activities or from supplements.“People should talk to their doctors about vitamin D levels, and take a supplement,” said Girard. “If you must be tan, use a self-tanning product.”

34 Comments to Kelli Pedroia warning teens about melanoma:

Comments RSS
Mauritius Holidays on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

casino on Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:22 AM
very good

thesis writing on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:39 AM
Nail the last sentence. If your title and first paragraph make the reader choose to read your essay, then your last sentence makes the reader remember you.

casino on Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:33 PM
I have seen after a long time

tibet location on Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:32 AM
Thanks for another informative site. Where else could I get that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I've a project that I'm just now working on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

travelling in tibet on Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:03 AM
hello!,I like your writing so a lot! share we keep in touch more approximately your article on AOL? I need a specialist on this house to resolve my problem. May be that's you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

tequilastravel on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:01 PM
I would like to thnkx for the efforts you've put in writing this web site. I'm hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing skills has encouraged me to get my own site now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a good example of it.

gravity massage chair on Monday, June 10, 2013 6:10 AM
You can certainly see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

Replica Emporio Armani watches on Monday, June 17, 2013 1:44 PM
Thanks for your publication; wild style. Many thanks sharing your article.

underbust corset bustiers on Monday, June 17, 2013 10:45 PM
I like this article, written in very good, praise! Thanks!

r4 for nintendo ds lite on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:38 PM
Thanks for sharing

Michael Kors outlet canada on Monday, July 01, 2013 10:15 AM
Thanks For Sharing

Bvlgari on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:50 AM
Good post !!An impressive share! I just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little research on this.

Cheap Erlonat Online on Friday, July 05, 2013 12:48 AM
That's the very nice post you have shared with us. I really liked it. Please keep sharing more and more information.

thesis writing service on Monday, July 08, 2013 2:37 AM
great stuff share by them. thesis writing service provide by thesismaster. We believe in quality

coursework help on Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:00 AM
love that stuff keep it updating. coursework master provide academic writing service.

Nike Dunk High Heels on Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:26 PM
Your concept is excellent,Its very well writte!!

Nike Air Max Outlet on Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:29 AM
Good post,and like it very much,i will share it.

Nike Free 4.0 V2 Womens on Saturday, August 03, 2013 3:54 AM
Good post ! I just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little research on this.

Air Jordan 11 on Monday, August 12, 2013 3:11 AM

Air Jordan 11 on Monday, August 12, 2013 11:27 PM

thesismasters on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:03 AM
thanks for sharing great stuff with us. Keep it update.

www.odbierzbonus.com on Saturday, March 08, 2014 1:24 AM
Nice layout!

Multiskills - EWP Training Melbourne on Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:11 AM
Well honestly speaking this article is Pretty good moreover, I have really enjoyed reading your article.

Office Supplies Melbourne on Saturday, October 04, 2014 4:22 AM
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.

Voice Watches on Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:47 AM
I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. This iss a really smartly written article.

Office Paper Products on Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:45 PM
It's actually very intriguing dispatched remarks. All the comments are very cooperative and very good. Thanks for circulating.

paediatric first aid courses on Thursday, June 11, 2015 7:04 AM
i am really impressed The item there is certainly consequently much all about your concept The idea has been uncovered ALONG WITH people did This so well, with consequently much class. Thanks.

maxbet on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:13 AM
Thanks so much for reading

DSLR Camera on Monday, October 05, 2015 1:52 AM
This article is well written and very informative. I really like this site because it offers loads of information to its followers..

Stock Tips Live on Monday, January 11, 2016 7:38 AM
I admire your thoughts and your way of expressing and putting it in front of readers is really something that I have seen after a long time. We need more writers like you......

sbobetesport on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:14 AM
My friend said it was very good. sbobet

maxbet on Sunday, July 17, 2016 11:55 PM